To go to the 2009 List of Topics of the Opening Page.)
To view the next section: Document 7A - 15 Categories of Ripoff Methods, Part A, go to the List at the bottom of the Topic List (above).
PHONE...YOUR LOCAL TV/RADIO STATIONS AND NEWSPAPERS ABOUT THESE PAGES.
These reports/graphics by other U.S. media will help them investigate your local mortuaries.
ABUSE IS NATIONWIDE -- BY MOST MORTUARIES
Excerpts from FTC documents and newspaper investigations point out the extent of the nationwide abuse:
- Morticians often claim that abuses have ceased -- because "We are NOW HIGHLY-REGULATED by the FTC and state funeral boards."
However, despite the FTC's 1984 "Funeral Rule" and state boards (comprised totally or mostly of morticians), abuses continue unabated nationwide.
As one newspaper states: "The funeral industry is woefully under-regulated in California. ..." ("Mayhems of the heart: Dying with dignity is difficult if mortuaries abuse the trade," Editorial, Pasadena Star-News, May 11, 1988)
Other reports say:
- "... (price gouging and deceptive practices) ... practices which are widely used and even condoned by a large percentage of the nation's 20,000-plus funeral homes." (Federal Trade Commission, report of its nationwide investigation, 1975)
- "It would be better if funeral directors would conduct themselves as honest workmen performing a needed service in a fair manner. There is no significant movement from within the business ... to reform what has become a ghoulish, profit-above-all, final ripoff." ("Final Ripoff Can't Last Forever," Editorial, Miami Herald, June 20, 1978)
- Headline: "The Death Merchants:: Sun-Times probe uncovers vast funeral fraud."
Text: "The reporters discovered a consumer's nightmare ... the OVERALL view from within the $6.4 billion-a-year funeral industry was a shocking revelation of deception and fraud." (Chicago Sun-Times, May 10-19, 1981. Nine-day series reporting findings of a six-month investigation of Chicago's mortuaries, cemeteries and pre-pay sales by 20 reporters. See a list of the series' articles -- in Part 8 below.)
- "What is the greediest, most rapacious industry in America? ... Mortuaries ...
... Many pad costs in an unconscionable manner, inflating the wholesale price of caskets by up to 900 percent, charging exorbitant fees for minimal services ..." (Editorial columnist, Arizona Republic, December 29, 1985)
(More information will be added.)
To go to the next section: Document 7A - 15 Categories of Ripoff Methods, Part A, , see below.
With suggestions to the media; copies of fraudulent advertisements, newspaper articles, etc.
TODAY. Send your comments, personal experiences, information, suggestions and questions.
You don't need to leave your name. Just click E-mail below.
Click here to go to the 2009 List of Topics of the Opening Home Page.
To go to any of these Documents, click: 2009 Opening Home Page and (at the bottom) click on:
A) Overview of the Industry and these 17 Documents (Very long. Being updated) | 1) Introduction, Exposes |
2) Planning a Funeral, Embalming | 3) Caskets, Photos, "Protective Seal" Casket Fraud | 3A) 2009 Casket Prices |
4) Mortuary Prices (Being updated) | 5) Industry "Profit System" | 6) Abuse Nationwide | 7A) Rip-off Categories, A |
7B) More Rip-off Categories, B | 8) Advice to Media | 9A) Significant Resources | 9B TV Investigative Reports, 1 |
9C) TV Reports, 2 | 10) Letters, Comments | 11A) Prepay Plan Contracts,Fraud | 11B) Refunds, Lawsuits |
12) BASIC ADVICE (Summary of these Documents) | 13) Short Version of these Documents